For this thing, I tried out the Flipboard app. I love the flipping action of the app. With small upward swipes on the screen, you flip through pages of personalized articles and news stories. I enjoy the aesthetic they have created as I feel like I'm flipping through a magazine or newspaper, which you didn't get with other news aggretator services.
Personally, I never used RSS feeds beyond trying services like Google Reader for my original 23 Things (on a stick) program several years ago. I can see the value of aggregating all the sources you take news or articles of interest from and having them sent to one place but I don't think this is how I will ever consume information. I find that I can get most of the information I am interested in from Twitter by following accounts of specific news/entertainment/interest sites and blogs and reading my feed. It fills the same basic purpose in my experiences. For professional purposes, I follow many librarians and library institutions/organizations and have them grouped together in a list on Twitter that I can check to keep up with library news. Here is a screenshot of my "library" list on Twitter:

No comments:
Post a Comment