Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thing 3: Utilities

I've had the Redlaser app for several months. Though I do think about it much, I have used it to scan the QR code at the grocery story for the weekly coupon code so I don't have to cut any physical coupons out. It's a handy use of the service. I also recently found a really great use of QR codes at my library. We do not circulate the most recent issue of magazines, they are just for use in the library. To signify this, the most recent issues have a small yellow slip of paper stapled to the cover which say that the issue is for use in the library only. I noticed last week that some of these slips have QR codes on them that link to the issue in our digital library collection. We do not have all the same digital and physical magazine subscriptions, so not all titles have the QR code.
I tried it out by opening the Redlaser app, scanning the code from the magazine and was directed to the library digital magazine website (through Zinio).
This a great way to introduce patrons to a new format for reading magazines they may not know about and to give them access to the lastest issues outside of the library. I am not a fan of having a lot of QR codes all over the library, but I think this same practice could be used to alert patrons of the various kinds of digital content we have. For example, we could place a sign with a QR code directing patrons to the digital audiobooks our library offers near the books on disc. This may be a way to get patrons to download these items who may not know we have them available.

1 comment:

Katy Manck, MLS said...

Great idea about using QR codes to send patrons to electronic or digital content; not having a physical presence renders most of that content invisible to library users!